Monday, October 15, 2018

GIVE or TAKE---GIVE and TAKE!


I have thought about this phrase---and then after a ton of years of doing both, I realized that in both short expressions the word "GIVE" is pronounced first. Perhaps that came about as a conscious choice, and not just by chance.

I think there may even be more ways to give rather than to take. Every smile we offer is giving something to someone. That is pretty simple, but how much that smile may be needed or desired cannot be known. Babies and older people seem to react the most when I offer a smile or warm comment or question. Since I walk great deal, (buses here are very slow), and a car or wagon is priced out of our budget, I can see daily welcome reactions to my innocuous comments.
Of course in Eilat things are very relaxed---it is a sort of drop out spot even for young families. Wardrobe choices are sporadic, and can offer amusement, guffaws, ridicule and downright nausea! I try to focus on the rare really tasteful choices. They do exist, if focus can be maintained! Some people drag in what seems to be underwear.
The babies and young children are a sure target to give----I comment on their size, smiles, depth of concentration, sounds or effort to speak, their reaction to my attention and on their wardrobe!

"TAKE" is a harder verb to practice. It is, however very important for other people to feel needed and to be able to offer something of value. I feel, however, weak when I am forced by circumstance to ask for help, to take what is offered. It is easier to give than to receive,
n'est-ce pas?
I see many lonely people here in Eilat---it is the last stop in Israel----across the sea from Jordan---we can see Egypt and Saudi, as well, from our small balcony. It is not considered to be part of Israel by many!
It is the tip of the desert---with a high mélange of mixed racial and linguistic groups, more so here that in other parts of Israel.
It often seems to me that people need more emotional and financial support here. Most incomes are insufficient. There are many people of retirement age, some of whom are on the streets with open hands outstretched.
Poor health is visible, or at least poor maintenance.
So, I often GIVE with light conversation in several languages.
I am able to receive compliments with grace, as I mentioned last week in my blog. I enjoy paying them back to others.
Thanking you for the attention you have paid to reading my weekly missiles!

MISS RHEINGOLD
  •  

No comments:

Post a Comment