Monday, January 29, 2018

The Wheels of Fortune



It is apparent that we are all surrounded by occurrences that surprise us, taken unaware and unsuspecting for the good or ill they afford us.My husband & I do part of our weekly exercises in a Community Centers thankfully largely subsidized by the city municipality here in Eilat.
The people we associate with are there are 50 and up.There are also large nursery groups and teen dance programs for after school hours.

After two years of attending a wonderful program there, speaking in several languages to communicate (this is by choice since everybody gets along most comfortably in Hebrew), I was talking for the first time with a woman I had been seeing on a "hello" basis a few times a week.
She was sharing some deep life experiences with me of her young adulthood and arrival in Israel.As just about the whole adult membership ( my husband and I are an exception!)has done at one time or another in the coffee room before class.

She mentioned that she left Morocco with her young husband not knowing she was pregnant, and lost the baby on the ship.She was deep into sadness while recalling this event in her life as well as the mistreatment she had experienced in Morocco as a Jewish person.As we talked further, I asked how she was able to get out of Morocco given that I had worked as a spy in the early sixties to get the Jews out of the three North African countries (Morocco, Algeria, and Tunisia) under French rule at the time.

She said the magic word "HIAS"(which stood and still stands for Hebrew International Agency--the"S"???)

I repeated her words as my body become numb. "That was my agency.I worked for them.I was hired in Paris where I had been living, and , ironically, learning Hebrew on my own at home getting ready to spend a long term stay in Israel. I figured that I had never been attached to my Judaism, only attached to my love of all that is and was French speaking until that point in my life.

Why not excavate a little, and go back to the source.This was 1962,fourteen years since the Israeli independence had been established.My  live-in boyfriend at that time met a few Israelis in the Post Office, and talked to them casually, in French of course.He felt proud, evidently,that his smart American girlfriend was studying Hebrew at home. They were looking for a spy to submit secret papers about debarking ships full of Jews without passports, or at least false ones.They gave him an address of an apartment where I was to meet them for the plans.

I arrived alone, in the apartment the two of them were occupying, with my American passport  and my temporary  French carte d'identite permitting me passage in and out of France as a foreigner.The interview was conducted entirely and comfortably in French. I was hired! I had to stay for 5-7 days in each location so as to appear as an American tourist.I had to pretend NOT to speak French!This was a woeful situation.Foreign travel, though completely free, and a beach stay, and whatever sightseeing I chose for myself.A Bassia dream!
 
During the course of conversation with this woman, 55 years later(!), tears welled up in both of our eyes.My husband was present. "You were probably part of the team who helped her leave Morocco", he said. "H.I.A.S.", I said. We all smiled. Finally, I got to see and meet someone whose name I may have carried on a list that was all secret coded for secret departure to Israel one night after my arrival. A true wheel of fortune!I enjoyed my stay, not knowing the importance of my secret mission!
What a trip----in both meanings of that phrase.
Ah, sweet mystery of life!

To think that I meet and talk with so many at this place (name of it :COULIER) several times a week, and have done so for coming on two years next month, and I never tied the two parts of my life together.I continued to be amazed at the number of older people who had spent the better part of their lives right here in Eilat, and raised their families here.So many speak French-not perfectly any more, but with fluency and Ease in understanding.
There are those form Turkey as well as the North African countries.They speak Ladino, a cross breed of Spanish. There is a part of me that feel very much at home with these people!
Miss Rheingold----


No comments:

Post a Comment