Monday, January 22, 2018

DOWN WITH CLICHES



DOWN WITH CLICHES

I   have been thinking that all of the good advice that has been handed down or more accurately voiced down is pretty useless after one pronounces the syllables.

The usual reaction is “Oh boy, that is so true!”Thereafter, one promptly forgets it until seeing it in print again, or hearing it in voice, and repeats it to someone close by to share its deep wisdom. These statements are forgotten almost as instantly as they are recalled. So how do we develop the real wisdom to guide us through life? We don’t! We just continue to live until it all comes together as does a well fashioned outfit after several or sometimes more than several matches, try-ons, and discards.

As I look back (which I do not often, but from time to time when asked to) I see that every misstep was a step in the right direction. I was after a deep love for a man who would be willing to reciprocate. I wanted all of him and for him to have all of me. OK the cliché song, “All of me”, that merits staying up while most other clichés are to be shot down. That may have something to do with the deep and binding love I felt for my father (his Yahrseit, anniversary of his death, is tomorrow, January 23rd).I loved spending time with him while he played endlessly and effortlessly on the baby Spinet piano for hours. I stood by and sang or danced to the music. Most of these sessions were after my parents were divorced. I was nine years old when he had to leave to be hospitalized for a whole year. When he got out his visits were steady and regular.

We went camping together. We huddled hours over dictionaries, pouring over pages of words selected at random. He   enjoyed my funny acts and my linguistic interests .In fact, I believe he enjoyed all of me (whoops, once again).We saw Laurence Olivier in “RICHARD the THIRD” on 53rd St. He took me to my first French restaurant in Manhattan (MAISON de WINTER).

When I graduated Jr. High, he allowed me to invite a girlfriend to the French Café on one side of Rockefeller Plaza’s ice skating rink. I can remember so many details of that day. Although he was an alcoholic, he remained sober for all of our outings. .I never thought about wanting to marry him in any conscious way. I just knew that I loved being with him whenever I could.

When I was 16 years old he remarried, and a year later they had a baby boy. This was and remained my only sibling. I adored him, and told everyone who would listen that I had a brother!

I kept on marrying in order to feel the closeness I felt with him. This was not a conscious thought. There was always something missing, or as we say,”off”.
Almost 23 years ago, I met my new roommate who was put into my apartment while I was staying in Mexico for a three month period. My existing roommate wanted to move on. When I returned home to Los Angeles, I found my new mate in my apartment. Another cliché, a song title, ”The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face”. He was to become my mate after eight weeks of living together as roommates.
I firmly believe each of us   is seeking to duplicate a beloved adult from our childhood as an adult mate. Mine was delivered to me. It took me some years before I realized the truth and wisdom of this selection.

A deep thinker, a really good cook a fine musician and artist who appreciates my wild humor, my antics, and above all my acting and linguistic ability-----besides being a man of style and good looks! Who could ask for more?

He even loves his moccasins! I do not believe in afterlife, except when it comes into this one! My search ended when I met David. He was placed into my life.
Our love has grown with pitfalls, yes, and humps to climb, yes, would I repeat this choice, oh yes, without reservations. I have big needs. I am a sexy attention junkie.

I am a devout Yoga lover. I am a wanna be beauty queen. I am a committed planner and driven to execute social interactions! I love travel-----wild, unpredicted travel, and carefully selected travel and any mention of the word drives me to fantasy and to realization! I love restaurants and plays; I am a New York chick after all!

There are some things we do not share, but they are few. Some diversity is necessary. Oh! May I add another cliché that just popped into my mind and seems to fit my life perfectly?

“IT IS NEVER TOO LATE”---then a line from a poem of W.H. Auden
 they run like rabbits”----this line has not yet become a cliché---a pity!
Love from MISS RHEINGOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment