Monday, December 18, 2017

HAPPY….HAPPY…..HAPPY…..DEAD!



This has been a week of weakness and recovery! Back to Yoga practice today----and what a treat to be lying back in Shevasayna. 

When David and I were living in San Miguel, Mexico, we attended a mid morning Friday philosophy group .A really cool circle of men and women( evenly attended) heard a tape of a famous philosopher, after a weekly summary of notes presented by the leader. Lively discussions   followed each and every week.

I cannot recall the philosopher the week that  a very lively comment was made by a French friend of ours, a single (divorced) woman in her 50’s.We were discussing dying, and each in our large circle got to give a comment on the subject.

The lady’s name was Michelle. She was fairly attractive and a novel dresser. She sat up straight, and with her deep French accent,, spoke these words:
“I want to be happy, happy, happy, dead!”

Everyone laughed. This was over nine years ago, and I can still hear her making this pronouncement!
I took it as beloved words that resonated in my own psyche.

Now, I   myself may be close to that time. My wish of how to experience that event comes very close to Michelle’s desire. ..HAPPY, HAPPY, HAPPY…… 

My husband and I read from a serious book every morning for about 15-20 minutes after a very early breakfast (about 6a.m.)-each one of us gets a chance to select the book (non-fiction), but it has been David consistently who has been doing the reading. We started this daily   practice  over 10 years ago----skipping a few periods of time when no book presented itself as worth our deep attention.
Julian Barnes, Sam Harris, and  Earnest Becker have written at times comic, but mostly serious studies, of serious , real (earth real) life events and attitudes. No use of word “spiritual” haunts their pages!

These are Pulitzer Prize authors----learned men with great understanding of human behavior---- while deep into daily living outside of the test tubes they have forged and examined.

President Clinton, I recently learned, mentioned Earnest Becker in his 2004 autobiography. Not such bad company!

The writing has become a sort of daily prayer practice with no mention of a deity.
We have a few books on order at the moment, some of which have been chosen after listening to Sam Harris’ podcast discussions with outstanding guests 

So, I am back on the mend from the wrenching week following my vibrant birthday week. Feeling  the happy, happy, happy vibe once again: in tune with life and all of its wondrous simplicity.
I invite you to join me!
I enjoy reading your comments. Thank you.
MISS RHEINGOLD

1 comment:

  1. You are rich, Miss R. Richer thank the vapid billionaires I have known in my life.....Please speak not of death. Youth and vitality pump through your veins....Women like you are warriors...timeless...and will fight and bristle to the end...I see many adventures still ahead for you...

    ReplyDelete