Monday, September 3, 2018

WHAT REALLY MAKES YOU HAPPY?


There is a story by Sholom Aleichem that I heard at a summer camp comfortably over fifty years ago. I was a counselor who was sitting in the bunk of the head counselor who chose to tell a few of us this tale. The title may have been the name of the principal character, "Bunsche Schweig". I am not certain. He was so good during his lifetime that God offered him anything he wanted ----from all the glory and physical luxuries that appeared in the physical world. God listed all the good he had done while alive, constant deeds for others, taking care of those who needed help.
He had been a simple man, certainly not a wealthy one!
He is not regretting having passed away (funny how we do avoid the word "died"), but he does have one important request."What is it?" God asked.

"Could I have a hot roll and coffee?" he replied.

Now, this week I am feeling lazy after an overloaded week that just passed, and did not have a blog theme floating through my mind. However, I was able to have my delight just about every day after my exercise class.
A beat-up frothy machine made ice coffee (just about all artificial ingredients!)----very low cost, served so frothy the straw can hardly pass through it!It gives me an inordinate amount of high level pleasure!
I so look forward to it, usually sipping it alone before taking a bus home, that I know I can say (or even write) it is probably the first thing I would request if God interrogated me!

Maybe we all have a simple pleasure that makes us a little embarrassed to mention when the question posed is,
"What really makes you happy?"
My second abundant pleasure comes from a manicure when needed which I set up by appointment on the phone.
I look forward to the day and hour approaching. Am I deep? Yeah, pretty much, but the smaller pleasures sit at the base of my emotional spine!
I enjoy a smile or friendly nod on the street or on the bus from a light weight friend or even a stranger (there are always a few of those who think they know me).

I am a sucker for a morning kiss from my husband; we have no house pets in Eilat, but they were always lap welcomed when we did.
A friend's email or phone call------sheer delight! Last, but not least, entering a Yoga class early and watching people arrive and stretch out on their mats.
Ok! I have revealed my simple side-----the deeper pleasures to be discussed in a future blog---there are many!!

Happy Jewish New Year (coming up soon!)

Miss Rheingold

1 comment:

  1. I discovered this short story myself a short while ago. I found the ending as translated somewhat enigmatic and open to interpretation.
    http://bibleandjewishstudies.net/stories/Bontsha_the_Silent.pdf
    Isaac Leib Peretz (1852-1915)

    ReplyDelete