Monday, September 17, 2018

TRUNK: Standards..... LEAVES: Expression ROOTS: Emotions

Sometimes ideas or phrases occur to me, as I am sure they do to all of us, and I am not sure what they mean to convey exactly.
Maybe it should be expressed the other way around.....roots first, then trunk, and then leaves?

The way I express my thinking and feeling accounts for all three, but the basis of my ideas stems from my standards:
i.e., standards of speech, decorum, style of dress, behavior, ideals, family connections, language affiliation, types of relationships, nationality and religious affiliation, if any.

The problem is before any displayed or felt emotions; my "standards" jump out and insist on being addressed!
As they are witnessed, the leaves are revealed: the expression with which my standards are revealed.
Then, what would logically be first, (i.e., the roots), comes last, as I examine the basis of those choices.

So, what is the conclusion I am drawing? I am a developed marionette!
First I judge, next I express that judgment, and then I examine the roots----rather than the basis of those roots.
This appears to be backwards. With trees, we plant first to establish the roots, and then we remark the beginning growth, and last the beauty and abundance of the leaves.

What I am explaining is how much I am tied to pre-existing beliefs and appearances. There is so much here that does not meet my standards that I am often unwilling to set those standards aside and let something new be revealed! Am I a bigot? Perhaps, although I would have heretofore considered myself to be a liberal.

I have come to realize my planting shortcomings! I appear to be flexible but my stretching is more accomplished on the Yoga floor!
Would love to hear from you about this conclusion!
This week there is a Fasting Day in Judaism-----(Wednesday),to reflect, to apologize for mistakes in behavior this past year, and to take full stock of one's merits and failures while awaiting divine judgment.
This is a fulsome day of awe! Perhaps we all deserve this opportunity regardless of our religious (or lack of) beliefs.
Miss Rheingold

No comments:

Post a Comment