Tuesday, September 11, 2018

HARDER TO BE A MENSCH THAN A MASTER!

The Jewish New Year took precedence over delivering the blog on the usual day, (Monday). My husband and I are living a secular life for the most part, but Jewish holidays are very accented here as in most of Israel. This was to be the day God finished his job of creating the world about 5000 years ago! We give it a two day close down (all public transport and 99% of stores closed (100% on Yom Kippur next week).

So, this past week I have been thinking about the many masters in Art, Literature, Mathematics, Philosophy, Science, Inventions (now High Tech), Plumbers, Electricians, and a mountain of others who help to make our lives smoother. I have recently met a few Menschen (Yiddish) who are just caring, thoughtful, gentle people who are a pleasure to run into unexpectedly! After considering why I like to fall into the graces of such people, I realized that they do not dwell in large numbers! They remember details about you that you want remembered. They have a compliment to offer you when most needed and least expected. There are usually no prizes handed out for their contributions, (although I have a good friend here who has been awarded "Volunteer of the Year").

Some have a dignity that is difficult to describe---they wear it, walk it, speak it, and never leave the house without it! I am very attracted to it. I remember once remarking to someone--ultra many years ago----that I would love to be "demure", if only for a few hours!
Well, I have been told that I am "a real mensch", a very caring person, and I do make an effort to be that. It is not fully natural, however, or at least it does not always feel that way. I do know, though, that it has to be easier, for me anyway, than being a master!
Funny how many masters are so wound up in their mastery that they fail at being a mensch------a great Yiddish (also German, of course) word is the noun "menschlekeit": the practice or quality of being a fine and real human being.

So I am offering a welcome substitute for genius---BECOME A MENSCH---or more of one if you are one already!
It seems people need us as much as plumbing and court trials!
Yom Kippur coming up---next week---fasting for your sins---after apologizing this past week for any offense or insult we may have incurred upon any individual or group.

Fun to be with you,
MISS RHEINGOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment