Sunday, May 27, 2018

L'ESCABEAU-------HIGHER and HIGHER!



 I do not know now, nor did I ever know who invented the stepladder. Do you?
However, I do think of it as a noble idea----to be able to reach higher and farther with stable aid.
Many of us in human attire strive to reach above our heads. We need help in order not to fall. Where do we look for it?

The root of the French word: l'escabeau --- has the prefix "esc" as in escalator and to scale (to go higher) ----- there is usually one in everyone's home---simple or luxurious as it may be. There seems to be the need for reassurance to be able to reach a higher level. A tricky climb though it may be, all of us have, at one time or another, set a place, a goal, beyond a simple stretch. The place could be physical, mental or that tired word, "spiritual".

There are plateaus that allow us to rest, or simply call for a STOP! Enough---or, at least for now.
I am at a stage wherein I strive each day to do as planned, to meet my daily planner's schedule! Sometimes I reach for l'escabeau, and cannot find it. Sometimes I  do locate  it, but cannot reach it to grab it !
I have begun to live each day as though it were my last. In this way, the evening brings satisfaction, and sometimes  one last plan for the day.
Do you keep your escabeau in full view? Do you kick it when you stumble stepping up on it?
Where or what are you reaching for? Sometimes I am not sure, except that I know I am not  willing to descend!

There is a new film out that is a true life story of a quadripeligic --- a completely paralyzed man (from 1959) who made serious positive history  for the cause of those whose lives were halted by Polio.
BREATHE---is the title of the film.
I worked with such people end of 1963 and into 1964---all quite  young and fully immobile---using breathing  apparatus machines, respirators and a few iron lungs to breathe for them knowing that the end was not far from their
present. It is an elaborate view of a life well lived which made outrageous medical history. See it if your compass has become cloudy------or even if you are reaching higher each day---- this film makes a work of art out of life.

Pull out and dust off your ESCABEAU---if you know where to find it---if not, keep looking .It is there in your home!
Reaching out,
MISS RHEINGOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment