Monday, February 12, 2018

Miss Rheingold Finds India Revisited



Hello--a rather bland word for reuniting or gathering interest, wouldn't you say?
All of you to whom I am addressing this week's BLOG know that my daughter's father hails from India. Southern India to be more exact, the State of Andrah Pradesh.
He is very dark skinned, very good looking, speaks Telugu.
He immigrated to the States to study at Columbia University before my daughter was born.
He became a professor of History and Foreign Relations. He remarried after his first wife passed away early in her 60's.They had a daughter together----who became my daughter's close half sister.


In all my years spent back and forth in Israel, I had never encountered nor interacted with any Indian immigrants here. Who ever knew that there were 80,000 East Indians living in Israel, and only 3,000 in India at last count?
It is very common here in Eilat to hear Indian tongues at most bus stops. I have often introduced myself and thereby entered into really interesting conversations about being a Jew and also and Indian----or the other way around!
I have engaged on quick bus introductions---once I see the Indian face or, of course, if I hear  their language being spoken. I have at times been mistaken and asked a Sri Lankan if she were Indian. Such an error is quickly dispelled!

My daughter was married briefly to a Sri Lankan lad, and I just learned that we were mispronouncing his family name. It as Wijawardina, a popular family name-----second syllable stress which we missed by pronouncing the third syllable! They married in China---or at that time independent Hong Kong----the ceremony in Mandarin,(not spoken locally---Cantonese is the preferred tongue). Ironically, my racially mixed daughter has often been taken for  a Yemenite Jew as well as a Hispanic or a black,

I had never met an Indian Jew before relocating to Eilat. I never looked for them during my month in India way back in 1986.No interest, I was learning about India and my daughter's heritage!
So, once again, a deeply hidden curiosity about Indian folks outside of my daughter's family (all Hindu) has come alive with unexpected vibrancy! It has been a highlight of my cultural discovery in the Eilat diversity!

One more time a wish fulfillment---comes into my love lap of cultural diversity---and I have a close Jewish friend from India who comes to Eilat for a few months every year from Goa. She is trying to settle in Eilat, but must sell her apartment there first.
Life has a turn round at a certain age, I have found-----I have been exposed to so many situations I have sought
to be a part of----without any effort on my part. Here I am a N.Y.C. Jew from the Bronx, happily married against all odds, looking and being taken for the actress I have always known myself to be!
Three HAIL MARYS-----and off I go.
MISS RHEINGOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment