Monday, February 4, 2019

SUMMON the FAMILIAR



Last week I thought I had an original title: "The Tyranny of the Positive”...Days later, I learned that there is a somewhat similar current English expression: The Tyranny of the Familiar"---a surprise!
I suppose there is really no singular neologism, and as much as we would like to believe in our originality, mmmmm?

In any event, I learned this when I heard that many new immigrant arrivals to Israel do not choose to remain within our borders.
Why not? Simple response was that they cannot adjust to the new foods, and long for the foods and brands they are used to!
Nothing deep, like politics or language or difference in world outlook. Different manners, perhaps or simple habits that are missed.
I heard this from a non-Jewish American on a year's volunteer visa who explained this when I relayed my new blog title.

I, for one, do not and have not ever, that I can recall, long for the familiar. Au contraire, I have continued to long for the unknown and unfamiliar, not out of boredom, I suspect. I find delight in what may be a new slant on an old idea or concept, religion, philosophy, or something mundane as food or dress habits.

I choose to dismiss the "familiar", or at least suspend it, while in the midst of discovery. Expression in a new language drives me wild!
New aspects of expression or new connotations to a well worn word, for instance.
Now, when it comes to a partner, I do indulge in the familiar with grace and deep desire.

I will welcome your thought and feelings about this concept, either on today's title, or last week's, "The Tyranny of the Positive" from those who have not yet responded.

Much familiar feeling, MISS RHEINGOLD

No comments:

Post a Comment