Monday, November 27, 2017

Return to Freedom


Well, it is time to get back to those who have read my former weekly blogs and asked me to start them up once again. My husband and I have relocated to Eilat from Tiberias for the dry climate, free spirit, and multi-lingual diversity!

It is quite amazing to be a daily listener to a panoply of languages:
Amharic, Hebrew, Hindi, Russian, French,  4800  Latin American Spanish speakers (largely Argentine), native English and German are more rare, occasional Georgian which is a real kick! Arabic is more rare, sadly, since I really want to learn to speak this sister language to Hebrew. I do know how to read simple Arabic, but the meaning often eludes me!

We do have a small Romanian population here, but not heard so often. I think they prefer to speak Hebrew! Since I am a linguist, it is akin to a young child being given a big free spoon with a heavy handle and let loose in an ice cream shop.

This is a southern Israeli tourist city for the world of tourists who want to taste a relaxed part of Israel. Relaxed translates as “I’ll wear whatever I feel like wearing or not wearing; after all this is principally a beach community!”

Relaxed also translates as: I will talk as loud as I want to wherever I want to, the bus being the place for star performers! The litany of linguistic excursions is a harkening back to the immigrant symphony of wartime New York during my childhood. There were fewer tongues, however. “Relaxed” can also translate as sitting on borrowed chairs from another spot in whatever café one is in leaving an occasional table without seats!

Sometimes it feels as though you will find almost as many non-Jews here as there are Jews. The bulk of younger tourists, for example, scatter their unwieldy backpacks on the sands of our outlying desert whence they depart from long distance busses (of which my husband and I are known supporters), there, they can feel the sense of lost adventure not available in their home towns!

Tattoos are as rampant on arms, legs, backs and wrists as are falafel stands on street corners. Crazy hair ---  if not fully shaven scalps to announce baldness unashamedly----- standing, as in Samurai buns atop  a tightly pulled shining black background. The notion of any standards of taste as in wardrobe fashion has been buried in a dumpster along with traditional trash! That may be why real trash has to find itself dumped on sidewalks alongside the dumpsters or near the sidewalk curbs! Well, it sure beats the traditional religious garb (especially in 110 degree summers) one sees on electric bikes striding their riders on sidewalks (not legal, by the way!) or the fancy electric carts (Kol Noi) packed with older citizens.

Smoking is an important pastime here---all ages smoke --- and smoke and smoke and smoke everywhere! Many roll their own cigarettes to be able to afford a greater number of smokes a day!  Soldiers smoke, young lactating mothers smoke, mothers carrying their tots in one hand are smoking or holding a lit cigarette in the other hand. Cell phones are now an official body extension on a crooked neck to sustain balance while the speaker is eating or smoking or lighting up---or get this ---- motioning   in mime for a light from another smoker at a bus stop or in a café!

The small airport in the center of town harbors cab fever!  The small tumult for fast bucks (or Shekels!) a lineup of 15 to 20 cabs when a flight is expected ---- 

My health is just about 100% improved, so how can I not feel redeemed? I am free of religious pretense here---at long last ----- can read my International N.Y. Times and shake my head “yes” to the wonderful left wing seizure of the most inspiring articles criticizing Israel and its baffling contradictions as all  bleary eyed ideals  are awash in stunning true events and corrupt leadership!

More to come --- next week — after all the magic of the landscape does need poetic publicity! Thanks for your requests to return to my blog
.
Miss Rheingold

No comments:

Post a Comment